Sunday 10 March 2013

Five Star Songs: Carrie Anne

Well, the start of my obsession with The Hollies dates back to the last summer. Since then, they have never left my playlist for more than several days, and many of their tracks make up a significant portion of my soundtrack of the sixties. Whenever I feel like listening to them, my song of choice is usually Carrie Anne. It was written by Allan Clarke, Graham Nash and Tony Hicks, recorded  by The Hollies on 1 May 1967 and released as a single in the same month. It became a hit in 1967, reaching #3 on the UK Singles Chart. It was also a hit in the US, peaking at #9 on the pop charts. (citation)



I just came across this amazing video. Needless to say, this live version is sligthly different from the studio recording, but is equally flawless and powerful. Every single time I listen to it, I have persistent urging to sing along to the chorus. At least in my mind, when there's people around.

3 comments:

  1. Such a classic! Love 'Bus Stop' as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Hollies song was/is He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother. A powerful song about brotherly love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam, glad to see you around here! I love that one too...

    ReplyDelete