Friday 21 December 2012

Albums of the Year

After coming up with this list, I realized that I didn't listen to as much new music as I thought I had.  The few new albums that I did listen to were some pretty solid albums.  Like every year, there were those disappointments, a new face, and those that always release a decent album.  In my opinion, this year was the most unpredictable.  The bands that surprised me the most were Swedish House Mafia and Keane.  Two bands that I was always aware of, but never gave a proper listen to.  Had I made my list longer, Swedish House Mafia would be ranked a#11.  

And here we go...




10. Babel
Mumford and Sons

When I first listened to this album, I was not a fan.  I just thought it was missing something from the first album.  Since I love, “Sigh No More”, I had to keep giving this album a try.  To my surprise it finally grew on me.  The passion that Marcus Mumford sings with really gets to me.  It really shows with, “Hopeless Wanderer.”  Besides the passion in the vocals, the lyrics are beautiful. 

Favorite tracks: Below My Feet, Where Are You Now, and The Boxer (which features Paul Simon)


9. Picture Show
Neon Trees
It’s hard to say exactly what I love about this band.  I haven’t listened to this album as much recently (might have listened to it too much), but as I write this and listen to the album it’s clear that there’s something about it that will stay.  The vocals are beautiful, lyrics are solid, and the music just makes you feel good. 

Favorite tracks: Mad Love, Lessons in Love (All Day, All Night), and Still Young


8. Radlands
Mystery Jets

I might be a little biased with this band.  I just loved their previous album, “Serotonin” so much, that it may have carried onto this album.  This is one of those albums that I love to just turn on and get lost in. 

Favorite tracks: Sister Everett, Greatest Hits, and Radlands

7. There's No Leaving Now 
The Tallest Man on Earth

Kristian Matsson has yet to release a subpar album.  Everything he has released to date has been fantastic.  This album was no disappointment this year.

Favorite tracks: Revelation Blues, To Just Grow Away, and There's No Leaving Now



6. Observator
The Raveonettes

Another one of those bands that consistently releases good albums.  Sad to say, this album was not as good as last years, “Raven in the Grave,” but it is still a solid album.  I love their vocals together; it’s really beautiful.

Favorite tracks: The Enemy, Young and Cold, and Till the End


5. Jake Bugg
Jake Bugg

I didn’t hear about Jake Bugg until NME published their top albums of the year.  Going down the list, I was somewhat familiar with everyone until I got to their top 10.  Usually those are the bands that everyone is familiar with.  I was surprised when I saw this name and had not heard a single thing about him.  I gave him a quick listen and right away loved the album. 

Favorite tracks: Seen it All and Note to Self

4. The 2nd Law
Muse

It’s sad that it took me a couple months to finally get this album and listen to it.  After hearing their songs “Survival” and “Madness” I was weary about this new album.  I’m glad I finally broke down and got it.  Still unsure how I feel about dub step, but I love the use of it in “Follow Me.”  This is just such a great album.  It makes me want to see them in concert again. 

Favorite tracks: Follow Me, Save Me, and Explorers

3. The Carpenter
The Avett Brothers

Like all of their albums, this album was fantastic.  This was definitely one of the top albums I was looking forward to this year.  Lyrically, it’s golden.

Favorite tracks: Live and Die, I Never Knew You, and Paul Simon Vs. The Demons

2. Come of Age
The Vaccines

Their debut album was one of those few albums that I just fell in love with right away.  I remember listening to it nonstop and waiting for their next album.  I’m not going to lie, I was nervous about their sophomore effort, but like many others, there was no disappointment.  The lyrics to this album have a different tone and still amazing.  It seems I am always finding a new favorite song off of this album.  I can’t wait for the next one!

Favorite tracks: Weirdo, Teenage Icon, and Lonely World

1. Strangeland
Keane

Keane was one of those bands and I enjoyed, but never listened to on a regular basis.  I remember buying their albums because of what I heard on the radio.  However, it wasn’t until listening to “Strangeland,” that launched my love for this band.  This album is just so beautiful. 

Favorite Tracks: Sea Fog, Sovereign Light Café, and In Your Own Time


Honorable Mentions

I wasn't sure how to rank these albums, but they are all worth mentioning.  Some more than others, but are all albums that I enjoyed throughout 2012.

I hope you enjoyed my albums of the year list.  I'm looking forward to 2013.  

3 comments:

  1. Wow, very interesting list, and also little unexpected. I've heard only half the albums of your top ten, but I'll make sure to check the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy the ones you haven't listened to. If The Avett Brothers is one of those bands you haven't heard of, I would recommend starting with either the Carpenter, Emotionalism, or I and Love and You. Those are my favorites by them.

    And Pretty in Black is my favorite album by the Raveonettes :)

    ReplyDelete