Saturday 8 December 2012

Albums of the year 2012, part I

Another year, another list. Still feels like yesterday when I was writing the last one, and even though I'm twelve months older now, nothing has really changed in my taste in music. For one thing, I haven't heard nearly as many albums as I would like to. I was stuck in the sixties for the bigger part of the year, spinning Beatles' and Byrds' records more often than it would be healthy. Nevertheless, here I am, presenting my end-of-the-year list, I hope you'll enjoy it and will agree with me about at least some of my choices.

For starters, let's begin with a few honorary mentions, albums, that didn't eventually make the cut for one reason or another. First of all, I couldn't but enjoy the usual mayhem of yet another Enter Shikari's album, the genuinely ambitous and ultimately accomplished A Flesh Flood of Colour, or the recommended Angels And Enemies, the sophomore record of the extraordinarily talented Liverpool quintet Sound of Guns. Another notable releases include Young Guns' second studio album, Bones, Yellowcard's Southern Air, perhaps their finest work to date, or the Mercury Prize winning, yet polarizing, An Awesome Wave from the debuting UK art-rockers Alt-J.

Furthermore, US indie rockers The Shins made their long-awaited comeback with the generally well-received Port of Morrow (which, in fact, ended up just one spot shy of my top 20) and Linkin Park reminded us of their existence with Living Things, a much better album, than everyone had anticipated. We also witnessed amazing new releases from rock's greatest legends, such as Bob Dylan (Tempest), Bruce Springsteen (Wrecking Ball), Soundgarden (King Animal) and, of course, Tenacious D (Rize of the Phoenix).

So finally, here comes the top 20:

#20 The 2nd Law
Muse
Let's kick off with what's possibly the most divisive and polarizing album of the year. The least I can say is that most of the negative response Muse did receive after the release was really undeserved. It surely isn't their greatest triumph, but in the end, when you give The 2nd Law enough time and let it sink in, it's well worth the while and almost as much fun as their older work.


#19 Shields
Grizzly Bear
Shields showed us Grizzly Bear's more raw and upbeat side than the largely experimental Veckatimest. However, if it hadn't been for its forth track, the dazzling Yet Again, I probably wouldn't pay much interest either. But this is actually an all-around great record. As it turned out, all I needed was just to spend a little more time with it.


#18 In the Belly of the Brazen Bull
The Cribs
When I finally yielded to all the rave reviews of The Cribs' latest output, I wasn't very impressed at first. But later on, I gave the album a second chance, and it eventually turned out to be quite a grower. It's my yearly dose of distorted guitars and lo-fi indie goodness. For fans of Pavement and early Weezer.


#17 Fragrant World
Yeasayer
While it may have not reached the heights set by their previous album, Odd Blood, it is a very enjoyable listen nonetheless.


#16 Generation Freakshow
Feeder
Good old Feeder, once again making the best use of their biggest assets. If you loved them once, you probably will again. (My review)


#15 The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy
Nada Surf
No surprises here. With their seventh studio album, Nada Surf unwaveringly continue to amaze me. I want a new one ASAP, please. (My review)


#14 Vital
Anberlin
Ten years into their career, Anberlin have released their heaviest album to date, and, according to many of their fans, also their best. Vital is definitely a step up from the problematic and slightly repetetive Dark Is the Way..., but personally, I'd still choose "Friendship" or Cities over it any time. Nevertheless, it's always good to see your favourite band going back to their roots and rocking hard.


#13 Strangeland
Keane
A return to form we all had been anxiously waiting for. Keane are back! (My review)


#12 There's No Leaving Now
The Tallest Man On Earth
With Bob Dylan having released 35th studio album after fifty years since his eponymous debut, it's truly remarkable how his legacy continues to inspire musicians all around the globe till this day. As is the case with Kristian Matsson, the Swedish export who performs under the stage name The Tallest Man On Earth. His third studio album has been one hell of a grower for me and with each subsequent listen I cherished it more and more, up to the point when I became pretty much addicted to it.


#11 Jake Bugg
Jake Bugg
Speaking about Dylan... He's one of several people Jake Bugg lists among his influences, along with The Beatles or Oasis. With that being said, it's actually not that surprising Bugg's music sounds like he fell right out of the middle of British invasion. My impressions of the album are still very fresh as I hadn't even heard of it until NME announced their end-of-the-year list about a week ago, but it's been on my playlist constantly ever since. And what an outstanding album it is. Jake Bugg's feat is all the more impressive when you consider he's only eighteen.


Well, that's about it for now. As always, expect the final part to be posted in a week or so. In the meantime, feel free to express your thoughts in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice list! I am excited to see what will be on your top 10 albums. I've only heard of Grizzly Bear recently, but know a lot of people who are enjoying that album! I will have to check it out. Sadly, I will only be doing a top 10 list with some honorable mentions. You'll see mine in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete