Monday 17 December 2012

Albums of the year 2012, part II

Without further ado, here comes the final part of my list.

#10 Django Django
Django Django
Having received rave reviews from just about everyone, this album became increasingly harder to avoid. Needless to say, when I finally gave in, I didn't regret it one bit. There's always something fascinating and refreshing about debuting indie bands, and Django Django certainly made quite an entrance.


#9 Born and Raised
John Mayer
When you rate Born and Raised, it all comes down to whether you like folk music or not. Thus, it's gonna be either your most favourite Mayer's album or the least. Considering it's in my top ten, it must be clear where I stand on this. (My review)


#8 Blunderbuss
Jack White
After an admirable 22-year-long career in music, dozens of projects and collaborations, everyone's favourite guitarist finally set off to release his solo debut. And its outstanding moments by far outweigh the few flaws. One of the bussiest and most prolific men in the bussiness hardly ever lets his fans down, even though it may have taken some time for people like me to appreciate the record. I'm only wondering if Jack White will ever run out of the tricks up his sleeve.


#7 Come of Age
The Vaccines
The Vaccines delivered again. Come of Age is arguably and quite surprisingly an even better album than their massively hyped debut. (My review)


#6 Handwritten
The Gaslight Anthem
Despite the lack of progress, this is still a rather fantastic output. It's been always very exciting for me to witness the band's continual rise to fame, and frankly, I hope it won't stop anytime soon. (My review)


#5 Lonerism
Tame Impala
A fantastic psychedelic album, that grabs you and doesn't let go. Expect no stoner music, though, this is a very focused and elaborate set of songs. It was yet another big surprise for me and will be an important entry in every respectable magazine's guide to 2012's essential albums. (My Review)


#4 Celebration Rock
Japandroids
It's hard to resist the raw energy of this album. I may be overly enthusiastic, but it is thanks to bands like Japandroids, that rock'n'roll will never die. (My review)


#3 Given to the Wild
The Maccabees
Compelling third studio album from the UK indie rockers, that clearly shows their musical maturity and a great deal of ambition, which don't go unfulfilled. (My review)


#2 Some Nights
fun.
It's increasingly difficult to avoid cheap puns, but the band's name really says it all. For me, this has been the feel-good album of 2012. I would always come back to it and be amazed by the sheer talent on display. Despite a few missteps along the way, it's simply a great record and I'm glad fun.'s singles dominated the airwaves this year. (My review)


#1 Battle Born
The Killers
Ever since the release, there was little doubt this mammoth of an album would eventually end up seizing the top spot of my list. Considering the long break, we might have doubted whether The Killers still got what it takes to dominate the world. Thankfully, the answer to that is a resounding "yes". Great hooks, grand statements, perfect execution... An instant classic. (My review)

7 comments:

  1. I keep seeing Django Django, but haven't given them a listen at all. After seeing your AOTY, there are definitely some albums I have overlooked. I like Gaslight Anthem, but haven't had a chance to listen to their new album. I just kept forgetting about it! I am surprised to see The Killers at the #1 spot. I don't think I've listened to it enough :(. However, another great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of Django Django, "Default" gives a pretty good image of what to expect from the whole album. Honestly, I didn't think you might like them, they're one of the "weirder" bands I listen to, such as Yeasayer, Tame Impala, Alt-J or Deerhunter. But they're still very listener-friendly.

    About The Killers, I've always liked big albums that deliver on their promise, like most albums of Muse, Wasting Light, Neigborhoods, The Suburbs... If you know, what I mean. And I quite missed that this year, therefore Battle Born came out as a clear winner because it was pretty much the only one. Besides, I think it's flawless.

    I'm glad that Japandroids are getting a lot of attention, as well as Tame Impala. But The Maccabees tend to be overlooked, which is a shame, their album is also brilliant...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems I have some bands to check out this winter break!

    On a side note, have you had a chance to listen to Fun's previous album? And one of the guys in the band had a previous band, Steel Train (I found out about them when they opened for Tegan and Sara), which might be something you'd enjoy. I have their album "Trampoline" and love it. Here's a link to one of their songs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COJ5dlhO9Mk

    Also, the lead singer had a band called The Format. To this day, "Tie the Rope" by the Format is still one of my favorite songs. Here's a link to the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apY9rP7iuHk
    Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I' not familiar with Steel Train, but I've heard Aim and Ignite and Dog Problems. Tie the Rope is great too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had completely forgotten that my cousin gave me a copy of a Tame Impala album. I listened to it last night and you were right, the vocals are very similar to John Lennon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And did you like the album? You have a cool cousin. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only listened to it once, but first impressions are good! Yes, she can be cool sometimes... when she doesn't put Miley Cyrus on mixes she gives me ha -_^

    ReplyDelete