Friday 13 January 2012

The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy

At last, we've been given a chance to listen to the newest Nada Surf album, and words can't describe how much I was looking forward to this. It's without a doubt one of my most anticipated releases of the last few years, since, well, their latest album, Lucky. So this is a suitable and welcome opportunity to try a new thing on the blog. From now on, I would like to post more original content, short reviews mostly, not just music videos here and there. Or at least such is the plan...


So how good is the album actually? Reeeaaally good. Well, at least from my point of view, the view of an adoring fan. The first and foremost fact about "Stars..." is, that the band returned to their classic sound in the vein of the first three albums. No more Death-Cab-For-Cutie style, they've fastened up significantly and the guitars are distorted again. The rest is still Nada Surf as we know and love them, Matthew Caws' likeable voice, great melodies, anthemic choruses. In its approximately forty minutes, there isn't a single weak or boring moment.

They churn out the tunes with such an ease that it leaves me with suspicion they didn't even try too much. And frankly, that's the only problem I have with the record, because on Lucky or The Weight is a Gift the band tried to push themselves musically, shake things up a bit. And while this is still an extremely enjoyable record, it sort of leaves the bitter aftertaste of a band lacking progress. Nada Surf are situated in a similar position as Jimmy Eat World, both cult bands that can do almost no wrong, but struggling to come up with something particularly new and exciting...

...but who am I kidding, The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy still is a fantastic album and thankfully, we don't have to wait any longer to hear it.

The opening track Clear Eye Clouded Mind



As always, feel free to express your thoughts in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry for the late comment :( Well I am sorry but this album will not be in my 2012 top list iy's worth listening but not more for me Maybe I was expecting too much from it I don't know

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I have enjoy the Acoustic version http://filepost.com/files/4fcebemb/www.NewAlbumReleases.net_Nada_Surf_-_The_Dulcitone_Files_(2012).rar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't checked that one out yet :) (I knew this album wasn't exactly your taste, it's because it's heavier?)

    ReplyDelete