Friday 13 January 2012

The best songs of 2011

With a little free time on my hands, I decided to look back at the year 2011 once again and make a list of songs that were somehow exceptional for me during the past 365 days. I hope you'll enjoy them.

Foo Fighters
Dear Rosemary
Out of all the great songs from the new album, this was by far my favourite...




Emery
The Cheval Glass
The lead single got me really stoked for the album. Emery at their heaviest.



M83
Midnight City
What's there left to say about Midnight City? The best song of the year according to Pitchfork, that rules over M83's last.fm profile by a large margin. It's just that good.



The Decemberists
Don't Carry It All
The opening track of The King Is Dead is also arguably the best.



Thursday
Magnets Caught In a Metal Heart
The song's gradually picking up speed towards the fantastic finish. And I love it, this is definitely the highlight of the album.



blink-182
Natives
This song clearly carries Mark's signature as opposed to the rest of Neigborhoods, which is very Tom-heavy. And although the entire album is fantastic, this is the stand-out track for me.



Florence + The Machine
Shake It Out
Florence has gone mainstrean. Ceremonials didn't quite reach the heights of her debut, but it still contained some rather brilliant moments, and Shake It Out is definitely one of them.



Glasvegas
The World Is Yours
EUPHORIC /// HEARTBREAK \\\ didn't turn out to be very memorable album for me, but I spinned the lead single heavily when it came out and it's still pretty addictive.



White Lies
Bigger Than Us



Noah and the Whale
L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.
Actually the only song from Noah & The Whale, that I like. And i do like it a lot...



Angels and Airwaves
Anxiety
If I had to pick just one song from all of 2011, I'd choose this one. I've never gotten tired of it and thanks to it, I've become a genuine AvA fan. Who would have guessed?

2 comments:

  1. It's been such a long time since I've listened to Thursday. Their song sounds fantastic! I may have to check our their recent album.

    Also, Anxiety by AvA is what pushed me into really being a fan. I've always loved the Adventure, etc but that was about it. After Anxiety, everything else just fell into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mary, I'm glad you think the same :)

    ReplyDelete