Wednesday 12 January 2011

Favourite Best of albums, part I

Well, I've been listening to quite a few greatest hits compilations lately. A thing, I wasn't used to do before. I tend to have all the records from my favourite artists, and I usually play them as a whole. Therefore, I used to consider best of albums pretty much unnecessary. That has changed. I thought it would be a good idea to sum up those compilations that made a difference to me and ask you, my fellow music lovers, to share yours. :)

This is only the first part, because I don't have enough time and wanted to post something already. Expect the other part(s) in a week. Hopefully.

Scottish Fiction: Best of 1997 - 2007
Idlewild
I have to agree with Pitchfork on this one. Idlewild were built for such Best of compilations. Don't get me wrong, I like all of their albums, but I gotta admit, there are always three or five tracks that really stand out. I've already made my point about this band here, so I won't go any further. If I ever wanted to introduce Idlewild to someone, Scottish Fiction would do the job just fine.

These Wooden Ideas


El Capitan


Your History Is Mine: 2002 - 2009
Funeral for a Friend
FFaF released this extensive double disc compilation album just two years ago, so it is still a pretty fresh pick. Along with the band's most famous tracks from all of their albums, it also features four brand new songs. And trust me when I say that they are no fillers. Wrench, being arguably the best of them, also marks a new direction for the band, who have been re-dicovering their heavier side since then. I dare to say this is a must-have album for all their fans.

Roses for the Dead


Wrench

No comments:

Post a Comment