Thursday 13 June 2013

Five Star Songs: Parallel Worlds

I realized I haven't written much in the past few weeks due to being constantly busy with school and perfecting my procrastination skills, and I thought that the Five Star Song section needed an update. So yesterday, I was going through my music library searching for something to write about, perhaps a band I haven't heard in years, some hidden gem of a song, or maybe an undying classic, and then I set my eyes on Elliot Minor.



It must've been a very long time since I listened to them for the last time, because I completely forgot they existed. And boy, was I missing a lot. Five years since its release, Elliot Minor's eponymous debut hasn't aged a day, and the melodies are just as infectious as they've always been. It's no wonder that that kind of magic only happened once and the band's following effort didn't live up to its promise.

Parallel World was the lead single from their first album, and still serves as a perfect example of the band's refined sound and instrumental skills, but is often overshadowed by their most notorious song, Jessica. They both hold five star rating in my library, alhough I've always kind of prefered the former. That being said, Elliot Minor's self-titled includes several other fantastic songs and it wouldn't be fair not to mention them. Time After Time, Lucky Star, Still Figuring Out... And once you start listening to the album, it's hard to let go.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, after the release of Elliot Minor in 2008, the band quickly started to lose momentum and eventually went on a hiatus three years later. Since then, most of the members started their own projects, so there probably isn't any future for the band. Thankfully, they left us with at least one great album.

4 comments:

  1. I miss listening to bands with this sound! This was my first listen of Elliot Minor and it was enjoyable.

    Hope school is going well for you! My summer semester has already started so I'll be practicing those procrastination skills very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have the time, try listening to their other songs too, I think "Jessica" is the most listener-friendly.

    School is going... okay. I got just one exam left from this year, but it's no easy one. I'll have to do it some time in the summer.

    I guess I don't quite understand the concept of your summer semester. :D Ours usually starts in February and ends by the end of May, June is the exam period, and summer holidays officially last from July till August.

    I hope all goes well for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your school schedule sounds pretty different than ours. Spring semester typically runs from January to May. Taking the summer semester is up to the student and not required. I know many students try to do internships during the summer time. For the students who choose to take summer classes (like me), they run from May to August with a couple weeks for a break in there.

      The reason my friends and I choose to take the summer courses is so we can finish with our degrees sooner. As long as I pass my last three classes, I'll be finished with school this August. Fingers crossed!

      Delete