Wednesday 30 May 2012

Strangeland

I'm a little behind schedule with these...

After Perfect Symmetry and the Night Train EP, I honestly didn't have high hopes for Keane's upcoming album. I feared they would go even further in terms of experimentation with synths, other weird sounds and collaborating with rappers such as K'naan. I was afraid they would eventually spiral out of my interest like a broken toy (which, I think, was the case with most of their fans). Fortunately, though, as the lead single suggested, they've put the weird stuff behind them, went back in time and released an album that is much alike their first two.


However, the record mixes certain elements from all their previous albums, which gives it a rich, complex sound. The fast and upbeat songs sound fabulous, the ballads are powerful and there isn't one weak track. As a whole, this is a very cohesive effort, not "going bananas" in a studio.

Strangeland is a welcome return to form. Keane is, once again, the band we used to love, fully understanding what their biggest assets are and acting like Night Train was nothing but a bad dream. Some may consider it a step back, a safe return to the comfort zone, but as I see it, fans couldn't expect an album better than this. It's no coincidence the band scored fifth number one on the UK album chart in a row (the EP counts too), an achievement only surpassed by the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, ABBA and Eminem. Hopefully, this is not the last time. Keane put themselves back on the map and showed they are still a force to be reckoned with. While Strangeland might not be a creative milestone for the band, it gives them an opportunity for a fresh start of sorts.

Best tracks: Silenced By the Night, Sovereign Light Cafe, Neon River

2 comments:

  1. Yes this new album reminds us the Keane we used to love I have to give it a proper listen again

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spun this right after it came out, but haven't spent enough time with it. I need too. On a side note and as the advertising guy I am, I must admit that this is one of my favorite album artworks of the year thus far. Absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete