Wednesday 10 August 2011

The best of 2011 so far, Memphis' picks

Well, I thought about this post before, but never really got down to it, and since st. tropez suggested the same idea, I finally decided to proceed with it...

This year has been quite rich in good music so far and the albums that caught my attention haven't been few. This is the best of the first six months of 2011.

First of all, there was the sophomore White Lies album, panned by Pitchfork but eventually pleasing most of their fans.


Then came Beady Eye with their debut, which some people even called "the best Oasis album since Morning Glory",


or The Vaccines with their extremely catchy indie rock tunes.


But then, there came a buch of pretty good hard rock albums, from bands such as Funeral For a Friend,


Thursday,


Rise Against


or Foo Fighters,

that I've been spinning over and over ever since. But I could not forget the folk rock goodness that was The King Is Dead by The Decemberists. Especially its first track is "musically all over the place".


Neither could I forget this year's indie pop discovery, Cults


So that's about it for now. I obviously couldn't hold myself back, again, but still, these "few" albums are, for me, the most interesting/important of the first half of the year. Hopefully, there will be a few more lists from you guys and certainly one big from me at the end of the year.

4 comments:

  1. I've liked The Vaccines since you introduced them to me. Also the Foo Fighters new CD is great, easily a top 20 for me. I saw a very cool documentary on how the recorded the CD in a garage and done entirely analog. It was very cool to see them go back to the "old school" way of doing things and come out with such an amazing cd. my personal favorite of theirs since there is nothing left to lose

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is this documentary about them doing a tour at fan's garages, you mean yet something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see the whole documentary, but if I recall right, the one that I saw where they talked about the recording process with analog and whatnot was entitled "back and forth documentary" if you google search it i think you can watch it online somewhere.

    ReplyDelete