Saturday 11 December 2010

Albums of the year 2010, part I

Since every other major site is revealing their own lists of this year's best albums, I decided to do it as well. The year might not be over yet, but I don't expect anything groundbreaking to appear in the remaining few weeks. I hope you will agree with me at least on some of those choices. Also be sure, that I'd be extremely interested in opinions (or lists) from all of you. What albums rocked your world in 2010?

Here's the first part of my list. Expect the other one next week...

#16 Would It Kill You?
Hellogoodbye


This album was quite a surprise. It was just as good as people said. Filled with power pop gems, it races towards the end never loosing pace and for the most part, it's pure fun. Ideal record when you're feeling down.
Best tracks: Finding Something to Do, Betrayed by Bones, When We First Kissed

# 15 Wreckorder
Fran Healy


It would've been foolish to expect the new solo album from Travis' frontman to sound fundamentally different from Travis. It would be stupid to slam it because of that.
Best tracks: Sing Me to Sleep, Buttercups, Holiday

#14 Invented
Jimmy Eat World


What can I say? If there was a single most anticipated record of the year for me, it would be Invented. Jimmy Eat World can do no wrong so there had been no doubts they'd eventually end up on my AOTY list. Fans, including me, were pleased, even though this album doesn't essentially bring anything new to the table in terms of musical progression. But that doesn't matter, since it's a collection of beautiful tracks, some of which will surely become Jimmy Eat World classics.
Best tracks: It's Hard to Find, My Best Theory, Movielike

#13 White Crosses
Against Me!


New Wave came out of the blue back in 2007 and gained them considerable success, critical acclaim and a plenty of new fans (also aggravating many of the former ones, but who cares). It was a reasonable change of direction. Thus, unsurprisingly, they go even further on White Crosses bringing arena-ready rock and big choruses. More than enough to keep me stoked.
Best tracks: I Was a Teenage Anarchist, Spanish Moss, Bitter Divisions

#12 My Dinosaur Life
Motion City Soundtrack


Best pop punk record of the year. Because it's clever, it's honest and sometimes, it just gets fucking loud.
Best tracks: Her Words Destroyed My Planet (Need a Little Help), Disappear, The Weakends

#11 Odd Blood
Yeasayer


I would've probably missed this if it wasn't for Kristen Bell in the music video for Madder Red. If only all the pop albums sounded at least half as interesting as Yeasayer's sophomore effort.
Best tracks: The Children, Ambling Alp, Madder Red

#10 No Ghostless Place
Raised by Swans


On very rare occasions, there comes a record which is so intensely atmospheric, it's able to take you to places out of time, far from all your pressures, worries and cares. No Ghostless Place is pretty much the definition of such a record. The songs weightlessly float around setting the mood to sentimental and the last thing you'd want to do is to try to resist.
Best tracks: We Were Never Young, Hail of Arrows, Longer Shadows, Shorter Days

#9 Volume Two
She and Him


Let's be realistic. If it wasn't for the adorable half of the duo (and the so-called “Summer effect”), this album might've passed me by unnoticed. And that would be a huge mistake. Zooey Deschanel's voice and M. Ward's arrangements and sensitive production put together an irresistible combination that showers you with a contagious summer feeling.
Best tracks: Thieves, In the Sun, Ridin' in My Car

No comments:

Post a Comment