Friday 19 March 2010

The Best Albums of 2009

Trying to keep up the pace one post at a day, I decided to reveal my AOTY list of the last year which, in my humble opinion, was really great for music. This post comes a little bit late, please, forgive me... :-P Neverthless, my top albums are pretty much in this order.

#12 Saosin - In Search of Solid Ground

Photobucket

I'm tired of all the people bitching about how awful this album was. While it surely isn't as good compared to its predecessor, it still contains some great tunes and sounds typically Saosin.
Best tracks: From track #1 to #5, This Is Real, You Never Noticed Me (Bonus track)

#11 Placebo - Battle for the Sun

Photobucket

what can I say? it's Placebo...
Best tracks: Battle for the Sun, For What It's Worth, The Never-ending Why, Kings of Medicine

#10 The Audition - Self-Titled Album

Photobucket

Every other song on this album is a gem, while the others are "just" very good. The Audition seems to never fail to deliver genuine powerpop anthems.
Best tracks: My Temperature's Rising, Everybody's Someone Else's Secret, Steal.Sign.Deliver

#9 All Time Low - Nothing Personal

Photobucket

I had never expected to enjoy such an album so much, but since this record came out I started listening to pop punk immensely, an obsession that's been lasting until today.
Best tracks: Weightless, Break Your Little Heart, Sick Little Games, Hello Brooklyn

#8 AFI - Crash Love

Photobucket

The only thing I'm missing on the newest AFI's record is another weird opening track. Driving guitars, Davey Havok's typical vocals, what alse do you need?
Best tracks: Beautiful Thieves, End Transmission, Medicate, Sacriledge

#7 Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown

Photobucket

I enjoyed it. A lot. I'm not ashamed of it. Green Day was practically the band that once brought me into the punk genre. This album made me start listening to them once again.
Best tracks: Know Your Enemy, !Viva la Gloria!, The Static Age, 21 Guns

#6 Fightstar - Be Human

Photobucket

Perhaps my most anticipated release of the spring hasn't let me down one bit. It may take some time getting into their music because of their unique sound, but it's definitely worth it. Charlie Simpson, formerly from Busted, is the man.
Best tracks: Calling on All Stations, The English Way, Colours Bleed to Red, Mercury Summer

#5 White Lies - To Lose My Life...

Photobucket

In my opinion, this year's best debut album belongs to this post-punk revival band from London. Every song on this this record is a potential single. If you like Interpol, Editors or Joy Division, be sure to check these guys out.
Best tracks: To Lose My Life, Unfinished Business, Farewell to the Fairground

#4 Muse - The Resistance

Photobucket

More epic, more ambitious and weirder than ever. It's hard to dislike this album.
Best tracks: Uprising, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires, MK Ultra and the twelve-minutes-long closing track

#3 Emery - ... In Shallow Seas We Sail

Photobucket

Easily the very best post-hardcore album of the year and one of the best I've heard, like ever... Amazing screaming, evenly great clean vocals, powerful melodies... I could go on for hours. I won't though.
Best tracks: Inside Our Skin; The Smile, The Face; A Sin to Hold On to, Piggy Bank Lies

#2 Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions

Photobucket

I wasn't much into "Puzzle," I wasn't expecting much from this either. But after a few spins I could easily say that this album is nothing short of brilliant.
Best tracks: The Captain, That Golden Rule, Bubbles, God & Satan, Mountains

#1 Silversun Pickups - Swoon

Photobucket

I didn't know about this band until the album appeared on another blog and I decided to give it a shot. I instantly fell in love with the sound of the distorted guitars and Brian Aubert's vocals and kept spinning the record over and over again.
Best tracks: The Royal We, It's Nice to Know You Work Alone, Panic Switch and pretty much the whole album...

Honorable mentions: Cartel - Cycles, Tegan & Sara - Sainthood, Dashboard Confessional - Alter the Ending, Taking Back Sunday - New Again, Silverstein - A Shipwreck in the Sand, Paramore - Brand New Eyes, Relient K - Forget & Not Slow Down, Paper Route - Absence

No comments:

Post a Comment