Thursday 19 April 2012

Revisiting: Lights Action

Amidst a week of work travel, I was given time to rediscover some bands that had seen the graveyard that is my iPod. While I constantly load it full of music, i'd estimate only 25% of the stuff actually gets listened too. While sitting on a plane scrolling through my rolodex of lost albums, I stumbled upon one that hasn't been listened too in quite some time. And that feeling of memories flooded back. And I remembered how much Lights Action debut (and to this date only) album impacted me.

The 5-piece British band got their start in the early 2000's, but didn't set the final lineup that would make Lights Action until 2007. In 2007, they released a mini album on British Sony imprint label, Xtra Mile. The early sound of the band never really caught my attention, and only had an average rating from Kerrang! After some time off, enhancing and adjusting their overall direction and sound, and deciding not to release their new work on Xtra Mile, the band started to write and record what would become Welcome to the New Cold World, with a budget of £15k. They sought out help from other recording artists, including Dallas Green (city and colour) and the boys of Canadian fan favorites Moneen. They produced a disc chock full of sound with varying Influences, but there is something for everyone. The band uses anything from piano to organ, to mellotrons, to live strings. With a sound of alternative indie rock in the styling of Death Cab, to stadium rock, to moments of Kings of Leon-esque country rock twang, the band covers it all.

Slowly, the band began to see benefits of their new sound, being hailed the British Arcade Fire by NME, The Daily Record calling their style "epic" and songwriting style along the lines of U2 and Coldplay. The CD was well received by the media, gaining 7/10 from NME, 4/5 from AU Magazine and Narc Magazine, but never really reached the masses as it should have. Here is the opening track, "Moscow", from the 2009 release.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard about this band But I totally love this single THX I love discovering new bands

    ReplyDelete