Wednesday 16 March 2011

What did you expect from a track-by-track guide?

Justin Long, the Vaccines' frontman, recently gave NME a track-by-track guide to the band's new album. You can read it below.

"Wreckin' Bar ( Ra ra ra)
It's about being attracted to trouble, about being out of your depth and thinking you can deal with something when in reality you probably can't. I'm fascinated by the concept of power struggles in relationships. I'm not really sure who is on top in this one. It's supposed to be positive, though.

If You Wanna
As with a lot of the lyrics on the record, I've tried to be as direct as possible. Sometimes when you want to say something it's best to not be too clever about it. The lyrics are pretty defeatist, maybe even slightly pathetic. But we've all been there. I wanted us to have a song with really downbeat lyrics juxtaposed with a poppy and upbeat melody.

A Lack Of Understanding
When you break up with someone you assume their life has changed for the better and that they're off having fun with new friends in new places. Most of the time, though, they're feeling just like you.

Blow It Up
This is about as angry as I'm willing to show people I'm capable of getting. Again, it's pretty direct. It's about someone taking himself too seriously and how that wound me up. It's me saying, "let it go".

Wetsuit
I'm petrified about getting old and I'm incredibly nostalgic. Sometimes I feel like I'm waiting for me life to begin and I always regret not making the most of things. Have any of us really had the kind of summer they experience in American high school films? This is a song about wanting to be young, making the most of it, doing silly things.

Norgaard
I wrote this about a girl I'd only met once (model, Amanda Norgaard). She was beautiful but she kissed my friend. It didn't affect me as much as the song might suggest it did but I thought it would an interesting experiment to write a song about something that wasn't beating me up. I'd only ever written about things I was obsessing over, it made a nice change and came pretty easy.

Post Break-Up Sex
I think people can work out this one! Hopefully it's interpreted as frank rather than crass. I like the term 'gloriously dumb'. We've all felt like this, but I'd never heard a song that dealt with it.

Under Your Thumb
This song talks about the idea of starting something new and being under someone's thumb, funnily enough. It was the first one I wrote for the album.

All In White
This is about jealousy and about victimising yourself. In retrospect, though, it says more about me than it does about other people.

Wolf Pack
I find talking to new people really hard. Sometimes living in London and playing music you feel like people size you up when you're talking to them. They want to know what they can take from you and I hate that. I've never really liked people who try to hold court in social situations either, especially when I haven't had a chance to get to know them. Maybe it's because I'd rather it was me. Whatever the reason, this is an ode to my good friends.

Family Friend
This song is about being lied to by someone you didn't expect to lie. It's in two parts. The first is sweet, the second bitter. So a bit like life, I guess."


Well, Julian Casablancas of The Strokes did the same. Head over here to read his track-by-track guide to the band's new album, Angles. On a related note, The Strokes revealed today, that they've already began working on a follow-up. That was quick.

And by the way, if you haven't checked The Strokes' new record yet, you can stream it in its entirety on their official website.

No comments:

Post a Comment